Monday, April 5, 2010

Reality TV

I enjoy many reality shows, why they are called “reality” shows I do not know. The irony in these shows is that they are supposed to portray real life captured on film, but instead, everything is exaggerated and scripted. Everything seems so over scripted now of days I do not even want to give any new reality shows a chance. When reality shows first appeared on TV I was fooled into thinking that these people are really who they describe themselves to be. Obviously, money is probably what persuaded them to act in the manner as they do on TV. Tool Academy on MTV for example is perhaps the worse show, yet I'll watch it from time to time just to see the guys cry. This is a great example of writers scripting too much in reality shows. The whole show seems completely mismatched. Reality seems to have some parts scripted and other parts not… and then they change the narration, so I don't know what to believe. Are reality shows partly scripted or completely? Is anyone else a fan of reality TV shows and why? Sitcoms are probably my favorite type of show, but with all these new reality shows like 16 and Pregnant I’m beginning to worry what will happen to other genres.
I found a great article in The Washington Post about reality shows. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53032-2004Aug9.html

1 comment:

  1. Reality shows have increasingly seemed more scripted than in years past. I remember the first few seasons of "The Real World" really seemed like you were getting the people for who they are. But now since it is such a popular show, people go on it just to become famous. For instance take Mike Mizanin from the New York cast. The whole season he talked about how he wanted to be a professional wrestler and acted as the character he wanted to portray every chance he got. Now, he is a professional wrestler in World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). They have just turned into an acting audition now. You get on a reality show and act outrageous to become well known. Only in America I guess...

    ReplyDelete