Tuesday, February 16, 2010

WARNING: EXTREMELY DISTASTEFUL

I am still in shock to have seen what I did on Friday night. While watching the news with my mother NBC announced the death of 21 year old Nodar Kumaritashvili, after a practice run went wrong at the 2010 Olympics. The graphic video showed an already nervous Nodar preparing his luge and taking off throughout the track. If I had any idea the video would end in such a violent death I would have changed the channel. There was no disclaimer or anything preparing me for what I was about to witness. I think to show this video over and over again on air was distasteful and insensitive. Who wants to see a 21 year old die? Not me. And I can only image what the family is going through. This incident has got me questioning the morals of NBC. How far will the news go to gain viewers? If anyone saw the footage you can see Nodar’s body which was traveling at a speed of 90mph+ fling off the luge into exposed concrete or metal beams. I could not believe what I saw and to go even further they showed still pictures of Nodar bleeding from his face/head. I can only assume he died instantly, I mean some people don’t even survive 50mph car crashes and that’s with protection of the car. I am also furious to hear they are blaming Nodar for his death; however since then they have reconstructed the track. Pssh, just a bad call for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. i agree, they should have thought of the families before showing these videos. part of us wants to see these grotesque scenes, but i think the media should know better and not play it on repeat.

    ReplyDelete